Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hw # 11- Self Experiment

For my self experiment I went through the day with as little interaction with the digital world as possible. In all I believe I had about a half an hour of digital interaction. 15 minutes of watching the news in the morning and about 15 minutes relaxing in the the living room with my mom before I went to bed.
I actually felt this experiment was challenging but also informed me a lot about my daily living habits. At certain points of the day after I finished my homework, I found myself to be lost and not really knowing what to do so I always went to read a book but I eventually got bored. I soon figured that there were other non-digital things I could do so I went outside with my friend (from my building so that I didn’t have to use the phone) and we walked around and talked about life and school and everything. Now this wasn’t really new because we did go outside together a lot but one thing that was a little different was that when our conversation slowed down we would normally take out our phones, start texting other people and then talk about things they’d say. That was something I couldn’t do so we actually had to find more stuff to talk about and were more observant of what was around us.
One thing that I really noticed that it’s hard to separate yourself from the digital world when no one else does. Its like you are alone in this world that rarely includes the people you know. I don’t really know how to explain it but its like a group of people have to be together in the “real” world for the “real” world to be affective.

No comments:

Post a Comment